How to Move
There are several ways to move to Canada as a permanent resident. Some options include:
- Express Entry: This is a points-based system that allows skilled workers to immigrate to Canada. To be eligible, you must have a job offer or work experience in a high-demand occupation in Canada.
- Family sponsorship: If you have a spouse, common-law partner, or relative who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, they may be able to sponsor you to come to Canada.
- Provincial Nominee Program: Each province in Canada has its own immigration program that allows them to nominate people for immigration to Canada.
- Study or work permits: You can also move to Canada on a temporary basis by obtaining a study or work permit.
- Business immigration: If you own a business or have the funds to start one, you may be able to immigrate to Canada through one of the business immigration programs.
It’s important to note that the requirements and process for moving to Canada can vary depending on your situation and the program you are applying through. It’s a good idea to research and consider your options carefully before making a decision.
Express Entry is an online system that the Government of Canada uses to manage applications for permanent residence from skilled workers. If you are interested in immigrating to Canada through the Express Entry program, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Have a job offer or work experience in a high-demand occupation in Canada.
- Meet the minimum language requirements (either English or French).
- Have a post-secondary education credential (such as a degree or diploma).
If you meet these requirements, you can create an online Express Entry profile and provide information about your skills, work experience, and other details. The government will then assess your profile and give you a score based on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
If your score is high enough, you will be invited to apply for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry. The process can be competitive, as the government only invites the highest-scoring candidates to apply.
It’s important to note that the Express Entry program is just one way to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker. There may be other programs that you are eligible for, depending on your specific situation.
If you have a spouse, common-law partner, or relative who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, they may be able to sponsor you to come to Canada as a permanent resident. This is called the Family Class Sponsorship program.
To be eligible for sponsorship under the Family Class Sponsorship program, the person sponsoring you must be able to prove that they have the financial means to support you and any dependents, and that you will not need to rely on social assistance. The sponsor must also sign an undertaking promising to financially support the sponsored person for a certain period of time.
There are different categories under the Family Class Sponsorship program, including:
- Spouses, common-law partners, and conjugal partners
- Dependent children
- Parents and grandparents
- Other eligible relatives (such as brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, and grandparents)
It’s important to note that the process for sponsoring a family member to come to Canada can be complex and may take several months or even years to complete. It’s a good idea to seek the help of a lawyer or immigration specialist to ensure that you complete the process correctly.
Provincial Nominee Program
The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is an immigration program that allows Canadian provinces and territories to nominate people for immigration to Canada. Each province and territory has its own specific criteria for nominating candidates for immigration, and some provinces have streams that are designed for specific types of immigrants (such as skilled workers, business people, or semi-skilled workers).
To be eligible for the PNP, you must meet the criteria set out by the province or territory that you are applying to, and you must also meet the minimum requirements for immigrating to Canada as a permanent resident. This includes having a valid job offer in the province, meeting the minimum language requirements, and having the necessary education and work experience.
If you are nominated by a province or territory through the PNP, you will need to apply to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for permanent residence. If your application is approved, you will be able to move to Canada as a permanent resident.
It’s important to note that the process for applying through the PNP can vary depending on the province or territory you are applying to. It’s a good idea to research the specific requirements and application process for the province you are interested in.
Study or work permits
If you want to move to Canada on a temporary basis, you may be able to do so by obtaining a study or work permit.
A study permit is a document that allows foreign students to study in Canada. To be eligible for a study permit, you must be accepted into a recognized school, university, or other educational institution in Canada, and you must also show that you have enough money to support yourself while you are in the country.
A work permit is a document that allows foreign workers to work in Canada. To be eligible for a work permit, you must have a job offer from a Canadian employer, and you must meet the requirements of the specific work permit category you are applying for.
It’s important to note that study and work permits are temporary, and they do not give you permanent resident status in Canada. If you want to become a permanent resident, you will need to apply through one of the immigration programs available to you (such as Express Entry, the Provincial Nominee Program, or the Family Class Sponsorship program).
The process for applying for a study or work permit can vary depending on your specific situation and the country you are coming from. It’s a good idea to research the requirements and application process carefully to ensure that you have all the necessary documents and information.
If you own a business or have the funds to start one, you may be able to immigrate to Canada through one of the business immigration programs. These programs are designed for business people who want to establish or invest in a business in Canada.
There are several business immigration programs available, including:
- Start-Up Visa: This program is designed for entrepreneurs who have a business idea and the support of a designated organization (such as a venture capital fund or angel investor group).
- Self-Employed Persons Program: This program is for self-employed individuals who have relevant experience in cultural, artistic, athletic, or farming occupations and want to establish themselves in Canada.
- Investor Program: This program is for individuals who want to invest in a Canadian business.
- Entrepreneur Program: This program is for individuals who want to own and operate a business in Canada.
Immigration to Canada (How to Move to Canada) It’s important to note that the requirements and process for applying through a business immigration program can vary depending on the specific program you are interested in. It’s a good idea to research the requirements and application process carefully to ensure that you have all the necessary documents and information.